Sunday, February 23, 2014

eliza swalled a penny…blog with a little TMI

Sometime the beginning of February……..
Eliza swallowed a penny.
probably the most scary 30 seconds of our lives.  not breathing……….finally after Matt did the hemilich for what seemed to be too long she started to gag and wretch.  Finally the penny dropped through her esophagus and into her tummy.  And, there it remains still after the 4th day.

She was so afraid to use the bathroom and go poops so she held it and held it and held it.  Forever.  Finally Matt and I did what most (well, maybe not) parents would do.  We lied to her.  Matt told her to go shake her bottom over the toilet and see if the penny would just fall out.  I went with her and while she was peeing…I secretly dropped the penny into the toilet.  Horrible, huh!?  She was so relieved to see that penny.

That same day she went poops 2 times.  I was sure that penny would move through her quickly and be on its way out but in her tummy it sits.  Now I am a little bit worried about taking her in to get X-rays and telling her that he penny is in fact still in her tummy.

Here is to the next 24 hours- lets hope that penny passes through and Little Lizie's trust in her parents stays intact!

About 10 days after she swallowed the penny……………
I took Eliza in to get an X-ray of her tummy.  She never passed the penny and I was worried it would start to cause problems.  After waiting 3 hours at the urgent care we were finally told that her tummy was penniless.  phew!

I think i was really just relieved that I wouldn't have to explain that the penny somehow was still in her tummy even though she shook her bum and it fell out.  Lying is never a good idea!

1 comment:

Megan said...

SCARY! Glad she's OK!!!