Monday, January 7, 2013

Sunbeams!

Dane has reached the age to become a SuNbEam!!  (In our church when you turn three you get to attend a class called sunbeams.  It means you go to singing time with the big kids, no more playing toys or having snacks, they have a real lesson and they get to raise their hand to answer a question.  So much more grown-up!) Church will never be the same again!

We had been talking about moving classes for a few days prior to church.  He was excited and kept telling me how he wasn't going to cry and he showed me several times how to raise his hand.  He understood that Eliza would be staying in nursery and he would get to move on to the "big kid" class.

When Dane is experiencing something new he gets very serious even if he is really excited about it.  No smiles, no jokes, just serious.  I brought him into the primary room and we slowly walked to the row of kids that are also in his sunbeam class. He took his seat and looked forward.  I showed him who is teacher was and she excitedly waved to him.  He shyly waved back and quickly look forward again.  He was not their to socialize.  I told him goodbye and he quietly said "bye" back to me.  So brave.  I stood in the back of the room like that awkward mom who is too attached.  After about five minutes I finally made myself leave the room.

Two hours later.....

I went to the his classroom to pick up that sweet little boy.  He came bounding out of the classroom smiling, laughing, exclaiming all about Sunbeams.  That boy was all smiles.  I am not sure he stopped talking about Sunbeams the whole ride home.

Now, you might be wondering how Eliza handled the changes.  Prior to Dane moving classes she has always gone to nursery with Dane.  They always walked into nursery together, played together, colored together during nursery.  Last Sunday she had to do all of that alone.  Well, in true Eliza form, she took a nap right in the middle of the nursery room.  That girl!

What a great Sunday.  It's amazing how these small events in Dane's small life can make my heart hurt and soar all at the same time.  I love watching him do things for the first time.  I love seeing how serious and excited he gets about new things.  Definitely a bittersweet feeling to watch him grow...more sweet than bitter, though!

Jesus wants me for a Sunbeam!




3 comments:

Megan said...

Oh I cannot believe Dane is a sunbeam already. Wasn't he just born? I am teaching the sunbeams in my ward now, and we've only had one week together but I am already so excited for the year. It is such a fun age and they just have so much curiousity and desire to learn!

Heather said...

hahahaha. a nap!?!? she's awesome!!!

Danny and Jessi said...

I wish I could nap in the middle of the room in my classes at church.