Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Class of "It only took me 8 years!"

It is still a bit unbelievable that I did it.  I have been worrying, working, applying and studying for 8 years and all of a sudden a goal that seemed so far distant has been reached!  What a feeling!  

Here is the full scoop...

We (Papa, Nana and the kids) arrived in Provo Wednesday just in time for a roommate reunion.  All my freshman roommates were able to attend along with some of my best BYU friends.  It was so fun to remember all the crazy things we did as students at BYU.  I definitely made some of my best friends at BYU!  

Thursday was filled with visiting counselors, bishops and friends.  I had a counselor in my department who worked with me for four years.  I asked her every question I had, she ironed out all my credits, approved classes, cheered me on and was always available.  I owe much of this degree to her.  She told me that as proffesors they rotate the job of helping students on their road to graduation.  Typically students don't take 8 years to graduate but as her turn came to help students and then as it became someone else's she decided that she would stick with me till the end.  Thank goodness!   

I picked up my graduation robe and hat.  We shopped at the bookstore, had a donut, and walked around campus.  The kids enjoyed the stroller rides, wide open campus to run and you can bet they were very anxious to eat that donut! We were surprisingly always ahead of schedule (amazing when you factor in three kids) which allowed us time for lunch and naps.  We all appreciated the extra hours!

I lined up for the precession at 3:00pm.  The kids, Nana, Papa, and Allie were in our carefully scoped out seats around 3:15.  Papa was a sport and pushed Emma around until 4:00 and Nana and Allie kept the kids entertained until...well, until Commencement was over round 5:00.  That is plain work! It was a treat to sit through a meeting and be able to listen.  

After the Commencement was over I met the family outside and Allie became our personal photographer. (Thanks Allie!!)  Prior to attending graduation I had decided my main objective was to take as many pictures as possible.  Without Matt to witness this epiccally HUGE moment I wanted as many pictures for him.  I also wanted pictures for my kids and pictures of me with my kids.  One day they will realize how much work it must have been to finish and I hope that the example to stick with it might help them in their own endeavors.  Wishful thinking?... I hope not

After a few hours of picture taking, a quick change from high heels to flats, kids running wild, and mile long stroller walk back home, it was time to party.  I had three cousins and a cousin in-law graduating.  The party had aunts, uncles, BYU friends, my cousin's wife's parents (did you get that), my family, and of course my kiddos!  It was so fun to just celebrate!  Mom (compliments of Grandma Mason) had arranged for Cafe Rio to cater so you can imagine how yummy it was as well.  

The next morning we were out the door (ahead of schedule) and on our way to meet President Samuelson.  We were the only ones in line!  After talking with him and his wife we had yet another BYU donut (covered in Blue and white sprinkles).  Convocation was at 11:00 and I was to be lined up at 10:00am.  We strolled over to the Victory Bell were my college was lining up.  My counselor had told me that if I get the last spot in line then I would be the VERY LAST graduate announced which also means you get a roar of an applause.  So, I called Matt and walked around acting as if I couldn't possibly get in line yet...I was talking on the phone.  Finally Matt and I stopped talking and I joined the ranks...in the back.  Just as I stepped into line a girl came up to me and asked if I was going to be the last and handed me a piece of paper that read "Last graduate for 2013."  YES!  We marched in, took our seats, and listened to speakers, piano performances, and words of advice.  Just as planned I was the last graduate to walk across the stage and because everyone is told to hold their applause until the end I got to walk across the stage as everyone cheered...for me...and for all the graduates.  It was definitely the highlight of graduation.  If they only knew my husband was deployed, I had three kids under three, and we moved several times while trying to finish my degree I just bet they would have given me a standing ovation...um, just kidding.  Actually it was amazing to see how many graduates had families...and not just one baby.  It was no novelty to graduate with children.  

After the Convocation we took a few more pictures and headed back to the house to pack.  With in a few hours everything was packed and the kids were bathed.  Mom had the house back in order and we were all piled into the van.  (this time with Spencer.  He had just finished his first year at BYU.)

I couldn't believe it was really all over.  I was finished.  I had my degree and now I could move on to a new goal.  

Do you remember the Greek story or theory of Sisyphus who was doomed to push a boulder up a hill.  Through out this degree it has felt as though I was pushing a giant boulder up a giant hill and I would never reach the end. (never-mind the real details of that story- just focus on the boulder)  All of a sudden it seems my boulder has been taken away and now I get to choose a new boulder.  I think I might choose a smaller one this time.  

Although I might have done the nitty gritty work of schoolwork, phone calls, and classes I know this degree was not all my own doing.  I had the help and constant nagging and reminding of my mom and grandma.  You can bet Matt was part of the final outcome as well.  Matt played a huge role in keeping my morale up during the late night homework and dreaded test days.  Studying was never so much fun with him reading over my shoulder and making his wise cracks.  In all honesty I will kind of miss having him sit by me as I do my work.  Definitely lightened the load! 

I am a graduate of BYU with a real bachelors degree!  
(guaranteed more pictures to come! A lot more!)

President Samuelson and his wife...and the kids!
Shout out to Spencer who snapped this photo.  It's one of my favorites.  
This was just after the Convocation.
Enter to Learn - Go Forth to Serve

6 comments:

Spencer and AnnaMarie said...

You are the bomb.

Katie Bell said...

Good for you!

sharon said...

Hallelujah! Great story and photos.

Casey Wood said...

Congratulations! It was great to see you! What a few super busy days for you and your family, but you handled it like a champion!

AC said...

Way to GO! You do deserve a standing ovation!

Megan said...

It made me a little emotional reading this and looking through all the beautiful pictures a couple posts up! You look so beautiful and joyous and accomplished! And with good reason! So proud of you and all your hard work and achieving such a HUGE goal, even with all the other things you had going on. Basically, I think you're amazing! Congrats, grad! ;)